Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Dr. ELISHA GOLDSTEIN's five quotes

graphic convention of manga, sweating, used to...Image via Wikipedia

Dr. Goldstein shared five very useful quotes which I think will be very powerful in helping us becoming the person we want to be (if we havent done it yet!). So many times I hear my friends complaining about things in their lives and how little power they have to change things around. But it is our lives, if we don't do something to change it, who else will do it for us?

In the post, he also shared some tips on mindfulness. I came across mindfulness some years ago but didn't really pay much attention to it until 2007 when I participated in a study that required me to use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to overcome my public speech anxiety. It was until then I started learning the meaning and techniques of mindfulness. It felt so great to focus my attention to my own body, my senses, my feelings. I stopped doing it after I completed the participation but I do think I learned something that has changed me forever.

The thing that I found most useful for myself is that I had learned to accept the imperfection in myself and these imperfection does not stop me from enjoying my life. Most of us still go to work, play, hang out with friends or shop even if we have toothache or have a cold because the toothache and the illness is only a tiny part of us but not all of us. It applies too when it comes to psychological issues. Feeling sad, nervous, anxious, or angry? Aren't they the same as feeling happy? They are all emotions; and they are all only emotions that you feel sometimes. The emotions are not all of you. You can have a happy discussion with a friend or a family member when you have a toothache; you too can deal with your work or life happily even if you are having some negative emotions.

Ok, here are the quotes and the link to the article from Dr. Goldstein...

Click here to go to Dr. ELISHA GOLDSTEIN's blog

1. “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom” ~ Victor Frankl

2. “Amidst the worldly comings and goings, observe how endings become beginnings.” ~ Tao Te Ching

3. “You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it.” ~ Albert Einstein

4. “You see everything is about belief, whatever we believe rules our existence, rules our life.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz

5. “What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters to what lies within us.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment